Friday, April 13, 2012

Flash Fiction Just in Time For Friday the 13th

Photo and effects by Lynn Kelley


Last Friday Debra Kristi's blog featured a flash fiction story she wrote, inspired by weird, Twilight Zone ceramic critters in her hotel room. She challenged others to write a flash fiction piece based on one of the photos in the post. Considering my squirrelly personality, the picture of the squirrels pulled me in, and I gave it a shot. 


When I emailed "Winner" to Debra, she commented that my story is a good one for Friday the 13th. How about that? I didn't realize it's the 13th! Yikes!


Let me warn you that flash fiction isn't my forte. I found this quite challenging. So here goes:


Winner

            Flora won a solitary getaway at the prestigious Pine Kliff Resort, famous for its rim-of-the-world panorama.

“What kind of screwy contest awards a trip for one?” Hubby Chet balked at holding down the fort of whiny kids and critters so her frayed nerves could mend. “Frayed nerves, frayed nerves,” echoed through his brain. He finally caved in before she drove him nuts.

That Saturday, Flora grinned before entering the penthouse suite for some alone time. Once inside, her eyes twitched to adjust to shadowy fixtures. A chandelier with crystal pinecone bulbs blinked like a strobe light, illuminating a red velvet comforter, polished ebony floor, and golden faux leather sofa.

She spotted a pair of ceramic squirrels on a Manzanita coffee table. Acorns and peanuts encircled them. Cheesy.  

 Stepping toward the window to raise the blackout shades, floor planks shifted under her like a carnival funhouse. Earthquake!

Before she could duck, another jolt tossed her right smack onto her tailbone. Dazed and panting, she trembled as a drumroll thundered, accompanied by screaming whistles. Laser beams from the chandelier flickered like lightning as the room quaked and walls split.

Smoke and pine fumes poured in. Flora coughed and pulled her sweater over her nose. Sharp pains stabbed her forehead. The temperature dropped below zero. Shivering, she curled into a fetal position. I’m gonna die here.
 ***

Chet kissed Flora’s head as she spoke gibberish on a gurney at Mercy General. “Will she recover?”

Zane Fitch, game show host, shrugged. “It’s nice if they heal before their episode airs in six months, but no guarantees.”

“Why didn’t she tell me?”

“Didn’t remember. Her memory was erased when she signed the waiver.” He patted Chet’s shoulder. “Don’t look so glum. Flora not only won $500,000, but she’ll surely become a Virtual Lobotomy favorite.” 



Now you know why my blog is called "Random Acts of Weirdness." 

So, have you ever wanted to be on a reality TV show? 
If you don't want to answer that question, how about this one: 
Are you superstitious? Do you like to stay home on Friday the 13th?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creepy and funny at the same time! Happy Friday the 13th! :D

Old Kitty said...

Oh no!! Poor Flora!! What a wicked thing to happen to her!! Oh dear!! Yay!

Brilliant and ever so creepy story! Loved it! Thanks for sharing! Take care
x

Bish Denham said...

YIKES, so gruesome Lynn! Today we are doubly bless in my house. It's Friday the 13th AND it's my husband's birthday! (Scary huh?)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for playing! I love the twist in your story. It was only scary until the end, then it was upsetting that they would let her get hurt. :( But at least she got lots of money! Woot woot! Reminds me of some game shows I've seen every once and a while. People are crazy! LOL

I think flash fiction is a good exercise. I have trouble writing things under 100,000 words. Hehehe

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Awesome story! Never saw that coming, LOL! And no, I can't imagine a reality show I'd want to be on. My life is boring (in a good way!) - there's a reason I write fiction! :D

Golden Eagle said...

That . . . was unexpected. I feel bad for everyone involved. :P

I'm not really superstitious. No fear of Friday the 13th, as a result!

LynNerdKelley said...

Thanks, you guys, for reading my nutty flash fiction piece! Even though it was super challenging, I want to try it again sometime! Happy Friday the 13th!

Theresa Milstein said...

That's nothing I'd want to win!

Anonymous said...

I had so many reactions to this! First I got shivers when she was taken to the hospital. The nice twist in the end was a hoot!
Well done Lynn!

Coleen Patrick said...

Love the twist Lynn! Great piece :)

Robyn Campbell said...

Wow! What a great surprise twist in that ending, pal! I curled into the fetal position with Flora as I started reading your piece! Egad! *shiver* Excellent.

Susan Fields said...

I didn't see that ending coming at all! Very clever!

LynNerdKelley said...

Thank you all for indulging me and reading my bizarre flash fiction! LOL!